- YouTube revealed its 10 most-watched video games before the release of its annual recap video, YouTube Rewind.
- None of YouTube’s most-watched games were actually released this year. Instead, the list is full of games with huge online communities that receive consistent updates.
- Most of the most-watched games are free-to-play too, allowing them to reach the broadest audience possible.
- Gaming continues to be one of the YouTube’s biggest draws; viewers watched more than 50 billion hours worth of video game content during 2018.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
YouTube has released a list of its 10 most-watched video games of the year, and it shows how games with online communities can use YouTube to flourish years after release.
None of the games on YouTube’s most-watched list were released in 2019; most of them are at least 2 years old. Games like “Minecraft” and “League of Legends” both celebrated their 10th anniversary this year, and their YouTube popularity reflects how gaming has changed over the decade.
“League of Legends” popularized the concept of video games as a service, providing an online portal for competitive play and socializing as well as regular updates to keep players excited and engaged. The game is now one of the most popular esports in the world, and millions of dedicated fans spend hours watching professional “League of Legends” matches on YouTube every day.
“Minecraft” is one of the best-selling games of all-time, with accessible releases on computers, every major video game console, and mobile devices. “Minecraft” players could dig into the game from a young age, and YouTube provided a platform for players to share their adventures and custom creations. YouTube has been essential to the game’s growth, and many of YouTube’s most successful creators, like PewDiePie, started building their following with “Minecraft” videos.
All of YouTube’s most-watched video games have some form of online multiplayer, and all but three of them are totally free-to-play. YouTube helps keep these huge, international gaming communities engaged, informed, and excited about new updates, strategies, and the world’s best players.
These were the most-watched videos on YouTube during 2019: